Fractured bones are one of the most common types of serious injury in the United States. According to some estimates, the average person will suffer from two fractured bones in the course of his or her lifetime. Although osteoporosis and overuse cause some fractures, many more fractures are caused by trauma: a serious car accident, for example, or a fall or a bicycle accident or motorcycle accident.
Common Types of Fractures
A fractured bone is a broken bone. There are, however, several different types of fractures. Determining the type of fracture someone has suffered is essential for making proper decisions about treatment. Some of the most common types of fracture are:
- Greenstick: a fracture on one side of the bone causing a bend on the other side of the bone. Children commonly suffer greenstick fractures.
- Transverse: a break at a right angle to the bone’s axis.
- Comminuted: a fracture that results in three or more bone fragments.
- Impacted: a fracture that occurs when the ends of two bones are driven into one another. Also known as a buckle fracture.
- Simple or closed: a bone is broken, but does not break the skin.
- Compound or open: a bone is broken and pierces the skin.
Depending on the extent of the injury, a fracture can take weeks or months to heal. Physicians typically use casts, splints and pins to hold broken bones together to ensure that they mend correctly. Patients typically require rehabilitation after a cast is removed to regain full function in the broken bone.
A San Francisco Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
If you or someone you love has suffered a fracture or other injury due to the negligence of someone else, contact an experienced San Francisco personal injury attorney. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney can explain your options and help you make sure the offending party is made accountable for medical bills, lost wages, disability, and pain and suffering. For more information, contact an attorney today.
SUCCESSFUL CASE RESULTS
Client vs. Private Bus Company
Wrongful Death of Husband and
Father in Bus Accident
Client vs. State of California
Dangerous highway off -ramp resulting
in spinal injuries and paralysis
Settel ment: $2.800,000
Client vs. Western Building
Construction truck runs red light,
hits pedestrian and causes Brain Damage
Client vs. Tow Truck Company
Fatal truck crash, wrongful death